Love Your Heart Week
February 10-14, 2020
American Heart Month is February. Time to think about our heart health and take action to improve it. By eating healthy, getting active, and avoiding tobacco, we can make our hearts work better, which will make us feel better overall. Friendship Centers of Emmet County is inviting seniors and their loved ones to check us out during Love Your Heart Week, February 10-14, 2020, and start taking advantage of the healthy heart services.
FCEC offers Free Blood Pressure screening in Petoskey every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for seniors. On Wednesday, February 12 we will offer a free blood pressure screening for anyone ages 18+ from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the Petoskey Friendship Center. Blood pressure screening is also available at the Pellston Friendship Center the first Thursday of each month at 11:00 a.m. and at the Huber Senior Center in Brutus the first Friday of each month at 11:00 a.m.
Lunch is served Monday through Friday at 12:00 p.m. On Mondays and Fridays at 11:30 a.m., we start with a soup and salad bar, featuring fresh local greens and vegetables, along with homemade soup. The same menu is also served at our Northern Centers in Brutus and Pellston.
Love Your Heart Week Special Presentations at Petoskey Friendship Center
- Tuesday at 10:00 a.m. – Cardio Drumming demonstration by our own “Beating Hearts”
- Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. – “Blood Pressure Medications: The Best Time of Day to Take Them” by McLaren Northern Michigan cardiologist Dr. Dobies
- Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. – “Safely Moving Loved Ones” by Northern Michigan Sports Medicine Center’s Physical Therapist, Kate Melby
- Thursday at 12:30 p.m. – Tai Chi by MSU Extension instructor, Gretchen Stelter
Love Your Heart Week Fitness Classes
FCEC fitness offerings are very popular. Try a session free during Love Your Heart Week! Folks that participate in these classes often make friends and gather after class for socialization, which is also good for the heart!
- Mondays and Fridays at 9:00 a.m., certified fitness instructor, Todd Ackerman, leads classes at the Petoskey Friendship Center. This class is 45 minutes long and helps to improve strength, flexibility, and balance.
- Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m., certified drum fit instructor, Lynn Turner, leads a cardio drumming class at the Petoskey Friendship Center. Get your heart going to the rhythm of the music in this 60-minute session.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m., certified swim fitness instructor, Phil Marihugh, leads swim fitness classes at Crooked River Lodge in Alanson. He jumps right in with the seniors and leads them through a 60-minute workout in the pool.
- Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m., seniors meet at the Petoskey Friendship Center to play swat ball. This is a seated version of volleyball with a lightweight balloon ball. It is a great 60-minute upper body workout, and tons of fun and laughs.
- Tai Chi class will be offered on Thursdays at 2:00 p.m. in Petoskey starting March 12, and Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. in Brutus starting March 18.
FCEC is here to serve seniors in many ways. Plan to visit us during Love Your Heart Week, or anytime Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you have questions, feel free to contact the Enrichment Director at 231-347-3211, ext. 19 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get In Touch
For any other questions you may have, do not hesitate to ask. We are always here to help.